tools, testers, conformance, etc

I'm not so sure. Unfortunately I have seen too many results by
reasonably substantial groups of testers that are as bad as anything an
ordinary tool puts out, and many very good tests done by people who
rely on experience because they don't have users to do testing with,
and don't bother with formal tools.

I suspect it comes down to the people who are running the testing and
how good at it they are. The better WCAG gets (and more particularly
the techniques, and testing materials such as those being developed by
EuroAccessibility, or by Chris Ridpath, and the various tool developers
who try to make better testing the reason to buy their software), the
easier it gets to do it right...

cheers

Chaals