Re: The Cult of Pseudo Accessibility

Geoff Deering wrote:

> As a programmer you should know that all they have to do is at least in
> this situation parse the functions calls and match them in a DOM tree
> table to see if they meet critical or none critical criteria and flag
> them as such?
>
> Now why hasn't anyone done this?

As a programmer, building a validator that includes a JavaScript
interpreter seems like an enourmously daunting task. You mentioned you
were talking about changes that were "darn right easy to do."

Have you been watching the progress of the WAIzilla project? That where
I'd start if you want that kind of functionality. Get involved in the
project and help develop a better one. I suppose you might be able to
modify the validator to work in conjunction with the DOM inspector, but
even leveraging the tools available, it's a daunting task.

>> PS. I just know that last sentence is gonna come back to haunt me.
>
> Well I do definitely know Bobby CAN be used for good.

I was just joking about my sentence being taken out-of-contenxt: "Bobby
and guns can be used for good..." ;)

> But if I was involved in that project at Watchfire I'd be ashamed.

Well I believe at least one Watchfire developer is on this list. I've
mentioned specific validation problems here before and they were fixed
quite promptly.

If you have some specific milestones in mind, you might mention them
here. Start small and be constructive. Since I'm not involved in the
Bobby project, I was able to read through your frustration and
understand your concerns. I'm afraid I may not have been as receptive to
your ideas had I been involved; I probably would have been put-off by
your initial tone.

I suggest you start a new thread with a subject like: "Bobby: suggested
improvements" to get their attention in case they missed this thread.
Remember, be constructive. I'm not trying to patronize by repeating
that, but I realize how easy it is to be overly-critical. I do it too
often, to mixed reception.

Good luck,
James Craig

--