From: "Julian Vallis" <lists@vallis.net>
To: "W3C WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 4:44 PM
Subject: RE: To be or not to be...an alt tag, that is the question

> Well, looking at the META tags, the developers of the site are apparently
'NetEmpire', a German concern at www.netempire.de. Judging from the fact
they use flash & JS on their site with no apparent possibility for any kind
of accessible content, I assume they have absolutely no idea or concept of
WAI.

> I suggest that the best way of sorting things like this are sending
formal, but nonagressive letters to both the IPC and NetEmpire stating that
the site is redone with proper regard for WAI - or else bad press will
arise.

> In any case, I can almost guarantee that the olympics.com site for the
Athens games will also be troublesome.

> Any knowledge that went with Sydney or previous Olympics will have gone
down the pan, as I don't suspect there's anyone who worked on the Sydney
site that will be working on the Athens site. IBM aren't doing or sponsoring
the sites this time round - and I don't know who is. The current
athens2004.com site is a smalltime Athenian concern.