Re: label tag and multiple associations

Hi Kieran,

in HTML you can't do this in the general case. The closest approach is
to use the fieldseet and legend elements which are designed to do
something like this. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.9 for where it says
"Each LABEL element is associated with exactly one form control." and
see http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.10 for fieldset
and legend, which do what you are looking for.

There is a little hack that is often used of putting things in a table,
where you can associate one cell with a number of others. A handful of
screen readers present this information as if it were achieving your
goal here. But you don't have a formal way of saying that the label
applies to the form controls in particular, which is the checkpoint
requirement as I understand it. In particular, unlie with
fieldset/legend you have to do some nasty hacking to get an accesskey...

just my 2cents (Australian official value)

Chaals