Re: link in new window debate

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, David Murdoch wrote:

> > > actually still use that? Personally I only check pages in IE (yeuch)
> > > (bleh) and Mozilla Firebird (yay) - ok I am a little biased :-P
> >
> > well you should always check out a website with at least one of the text
> > based browsers...personally I like LYNX but there are others
>
> Bob since i have to use AT I do not see the need to use a text based browser
> (and among the many others I know who use AT on a daily basis I have yet to
> meet one who uses a text based browser). I know many people use a text based
> browser to test for screen reader/braille compatability, but personally I
> have found this to be a poor substitue for the real thing.

well I for one use almost exclusively a text based browser and it is
mostly done for speed, considering I get several hundred e-mails a day and
have to use the web for much research, and really do want to get some
"real" work done.  I'm an engineer not a IT person.

and I know quite a few others using varios types of AT that use text based
e-mail/browsers for the same reasons....they are fast and reliable,
especially over slow or dirty connections (I was in Nicaragua and was
barely able to get a 2400 baud modem to work reliably)  remember above all
else it is a "WORLD WIDE web" we are not just producing documents and
information to the USA/UK/Western Europe/Japan/Aus/NZ   there is also the
"Rest of the world"

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net