Re: portals

Well, nothing needs to be done differently from producing accessible
stuff in general, but there are a few things to keep especially in
mind...

You are essentially trying to provide access to a lot of information.
Some relevant checkpoints from WCAG 1.0 and some (personal, of course)
thoughts on applying them:

Tables:
5.1  For data tables, identify row and column headers.

 Tables are a good way to organise information, but you need to make
them right. As well as th elements in appropriate places, think about
how the table will read...

5.2  For data tables that have two or more logical levels of row or
column headers, use markup to associate data cells and header cells.
11.2  Avoid deprecated features of W3C technologies.
5.5  Provide summaries for tables.
5.6  Provide abbreviations for header labels.

Or maybe a flatter structure:
3.5  Use header elements to convey document structure and use them
according to specification.
3.6  Mark up lists and list items properly.

The following really should be obvious...
13.5  Provide navigation bars to highlight and give access to the
navigation mechanism.
13.6  Group related links, identify the group (for user agents), and,
until user agents do so, provide a way to bypass the group.

Especially for Portals:
13.7  If search functions are provided, enable different types of
searches for different skill levels and preferences.

Essentially a portal IS a search function. One trick is to allow for
broad searching and for deep searching - different people find
different approaches more successful. There is research by Inmaculada
Fajardo that you could quote here:
 http://www.ugr.es/~ergocogn/articulos/towards.pdf as a semi-random
starting point...

This is the sort of thing that people use semantic web techniques for -
having something as simple as Dublin Core metadata about the things you
are pointing to means you can build portals that provide multiple paths
to the same information - optionally giving people the choice to switch
between different restricted sets. See also 13.9  Provide information
about document collections (i.e., documents comprising multiple pages.)
and 13.2  Provide metadata to add semantic information to pages and
sites.

Doing this is also helpful because you can export your information
directly to other systems - allowing people to build the functionality
of your portal into things they already use. One approach to this is
the work done in Amaya derived from the Annotea project, which is
essentially about bookmarks (or personal portals if you prefer to think
of them that way). A somewhat technical explanation is at
http://www.w3.org/2003/07/Annotea/BookmarkSchema

Writing style is important - enough information and not too much is a
hard thing to measure, but important.
13.8  Place distinguishing information at the beginning of headings,
paragraphs, lists, etc.
12.3  Divide large blocks of information into more manageable groups
where natural and appropriate.
13.1  Clearly identify the target of each link.
14.1  Use the clearest and simplest language appropriate for a site's
content.
14.2  Supplement text with graphic or auditory presentations where they
will facilitate comprehension of the page.
Icons that can be understood on their own are notoriously hard to make,
but can be helpful if used with other cues. For an extreme example
(designed for people who have minimal reading skills) see
http://www.peepo.com

And when you've got this right, done the obvious things (valid code,
text alternatives, not relied on javascripts or Flash or something)
then you just go through the checklist -
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/full-checklist.html - for things you may
have missed.

It seems daunting the first time, but you get used to it pretty
quickly. Then the trap is thinking you know what you're doing and
forgetting to check (at least that's a problem I find is hard to avoid,
which is why I still check everything. Even if I know I haven't one
everything I often find simple stuff I can do quickly to make things
better).

Oh, talking to users is helpful. There are lots of different users of
course, so you need to be sure that you aren't just listening to a
couple of sides of a complex story, but adding a couple of random
insights to what you already knew isn't necessarily a bad thing...

cheers

Chaals