Re: Skipper: Projects and Uses

Geoff Deering wrote:
> Does anyone know of projects or groups that have implemented applications
> like Skipper (http://skipper.sourceforge.net/)?
>
> One of my local Linux User Groups is looking to offer such systems to the
> community.  I'd be pleased to hear of anyone else with knowledge or
> experience in this area, or know of others working with such projects in the
> community.

I am involved in a project based around an accessible (well, it will be
when I've de-bugged it) online community information system, Community
Connect <http://www.community-connect.net>

Part of this project involves reviving a touch-screen kiosk that I
developed and adding Festival and TRACE's EZ-Access as extra interfaces.
  (The data is presented to the screen as compliant XHTML and coverted
to SABLE voice XML using XSLT.)  Details at <http://www.tivis.net.au>
I've done a proposal for developer workshops on the kiosk and some of
the Community Connect architecture for OzeWAI in December.

My future plans involve microcontroller based mouse and keyboard
'wedges' - similar to the Skipper idea, but doing all the work outside
of the PC (or Mac).  Contact me off list if you're interested as some of
the techniques are getting a little off-topic for this list, although an
accessible Web-style interface remains at the centre of my application
delivery strategy.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy