Re: JAWSR for Windows for FREE? Lets give a try!

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: JAWSR for Windows for FREE? Lets give a try!

> The assumption is that if you validate and
> code to wai guidelines, that the assistives should fall in line.

Yep, it is an element of mutal trust between website creators and browser
creators. With both groups aiming for the same target there is a better
chance of wider range of accessibility.

>  This
> includes using the techniques.  I'd be more in favor of providing a
> techniques document or adding to the techniques document tips for
maximizing
> the environment you know your client will want to maximize.

Good idea, and I agree. We need to know what speech browsers can do, what
they get wrong, where they have difficulty. Phil Jenkins earlier mentioned
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/impl-pr2/> as a starting point. I guess we can add
more to this (especially with feedback from people actually using the
technologies in question) to resolve typical questions/situations - such as
table navigation (my current area of interest), form navigation, etc. I
imagine something like a test suite of accessible pages (like my "accessible
table" attempt page
<http://www.isolani.co.uk/articles/table/group9step6.html> ), and
documenting if assistive technologies can access the information easily.
Documenting how speech browsers can access and manipulate these pages will
probably give a better and more accurate insight into correct markup
techniques than a web designer trying to use a speech browser.

Mike