SV: Find As You Type (Mozilla) and ACCESSKEY

1)

There is no need to compare Mozilla's implementation of "Find As You Type"
with the old ways of using ALT (Cmd in Mac, etc.) for access key letters.

The Mozilla implementation is far superior, second to none. But not as it is
implemented as default at the moment. It took me several hours to try to
figure out how it worked, and after a lot of frustrations I had to read the
documentation before I saw the light. And I have already forgotten most of
the documentation!

If "Find As You Type" should be easy to use, it should by default only work
for the first letter in link text, and then move on to the next first letter
of the next link text beginning with that letter. If this is implemented as
default, "Find As You Type" is probably the very best solution imaginable
and even the best of all worlds!

Power users will be able to switch on all the advanced features of "Find as
You Type".

2)

When we think of Microsoft's great record when it comes to Accessibility (at
least they have made progress over the years), you are probably right, that
we could convince Microsoft to implement a similar feature in Internet
Explorer.

We should also try to get such a feature into W3C's User Agent Accessibility
Guidelines.

3)

"Find As You Type" has the potential of becoming a very great alternative to
the HTML ACCESSKEY and even to make it obsolete, and to solve all the
traditional problems of access keys to links in web pages.

But it depends on the willingness of other user agents to implement the same
ideas. Why not put pressure on them by implementing first letter as HTML
access keys already today on all our web pages, as proposed in my article
;-).

Best regards,
Jesper Tverskov