Re: ALT as required attribute

"Bill Mason" <w3c@accessibleinter.net> wrote in message
news:5.2.0.9.0.20030203104507.00cbb610@accessibleinter.net...

> At 10:32 AM 2/3/2003, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
> >also the browsers you mention display a tooltip when the user mouses over
> >the image
>
> I don't know offhand about Opera or Amaya, but Netscape 7 in fact does not
> give a mouseover tooltip from the ALT attribute text.

Which is a real shame, it makes many sites much less accessible than they
otherwise would be, I have to really dig to get the information, fortunately
IE does not yet suffer from the same limitation so I still have a choice,
even though I have to put up with other inconveniences.

>  It correctly does that with the contents of the TITLE attribute.

When the title is unavailable though, this useful interface to the metadata
is just ignored, rather than used to provide other metadata.

Jim.