More references on XML/XHTML and accessibility

This stuff is at last accessibility related again.

Kynn Bartlett also wrote:

http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2003/proceedings/76.htm

While *XML languages generally provide the greatest accessibility*,
there has been major progress in the development of document formats
which had previously provided a barrier to access for many people with
disabilities.

HTML -- Extensible HyperText Markup Language -- is the reformulation of
HTML according to the rules of XML. XHTML is a clean, structured version
of HTML that allows for greater separation of content and presentation,
and compatibility with XML tools. Information stored in XML can be
easily converted to XHTML for display in Web browsers, and that XHTML
may be tailored to the needs of specific users.

Rather than being afraid of future advances and their potential to shut
out audiences with special needs, we should embrace the concepts of the
21st Century Web, employing them to their fullest to ensure
accessibility for everyone. While HTML continues to serve as the most
common language of the Web, accessibility for the new millennium is not
merely about checking your alt text.

Kynn Bartlett also wrote (about using XHTML, XML and XSLT):

http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2002/proceedings/218.htm

The *accessibility benefit* of this approach, which is a single source,
multiple interface model (rather than the traditional single source,
single interface model of earlier web design) is that it allows for each
user to receive an optimal user interface -- one which is not merely
"accessible" but also "usable." Rather than the screenreader version
being a derivate of the graphical user's design, the screenreader user
receives her own interface to the same content, made to work with her
needs and preferences. Conflicts between accomodations necessary
different disability types can be mitigated with such an approach, since
different transformations can be used for different users.

Tim writes:

These are great resources (I am being serious). They assure me that I am
making the right choice in using XHTML as my base for accessible
development.
Its good to have these kind of resources to affirm the way I feel.

Many thanks Kynn.

Tim