Re: what languages can screen readers read in?

I believe there is an arabic screen reader available, released about a
year ago. (Maybe it is only a text to speech engine, but they can be
hooked up to various linux-based screen readers and possibly to windows
ones as well).

There's a whole audio-based operating system in brazilian portuguese,
there are definitely screen readers able to read "major european
languages" (although I have heard finns laughing about the sound of
things they use, I have also seen there a system that auto-detected for
finnish or english and changed languages on the fly).

I'd be surprised to find any definitive information on a monolingual
list such as this one. Any results you do come up with would be useful
though, and I suspect interesting to a number of people.

Certainly there are japanese screenreaders. To find out about things
like Urdu and Somali you might have to go beyond the subscribers of
this list (do you know a Somali who might be interested in researching
this a bit?).

I'll ask around, too. But can't hold out many promises.

cheers

Charles