Re: window.print ()

Jesper,

like David, you assume the user has access to the OS, frequently they
don't; our local supermarket provides their help desk with IE and no
othr application, it is not connected to the web, and yes it does have
a default configuration that can't be interfered with. Our students and
staff don't have the knowledge, understanding, desire, means or time to
learn the OS first.

for instance at http://www.peepo.com we have disabled right clicking,
because many users cannot differentiate left and right clicking.
on some pages we disable left clicking, so that users can learn to
control the mouse without clicking.
Then we provide a button that enables right clicking* for those that
want to copy and paste images, or gain access to the dialogue for
another purpose.

It is possible to do this via the OS, but given that we know our users
don't know how, and we don't know their OS, this is a rational approach.

So perhaps you'll both concede that there is a useful purpose served
for the elderly, children and those with a learning disability.
Don't forget that when we are old something else will need to be learnt
by us, and its very dull if there is only one way to skin the cat.

Jonathan

*using cookies, currently this is slightly hidden in '?' 'help'