Re: Question about Data Tables

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Josh Hughes wrote:

> Hey all,
> I'm developing a data table interpreter. I almost done with it, but I'm
> a little stumped on what to do about table headers that haven't been
> given a scope or id/header association.

You can make a guess using some fairly obvious heuristics (i.e.
where does a th appear in a table).

> This is going to be part of a validator, so I'm not interested in error-
> handling; I want to know what is expected from a standards perspective.

In that case it's trivial: the HTML spec tells you all you need -
you can check whether an attribute value is legal but not whether
it is sensible or semantically correct.

Unless perhaps you were misusing the word validator to mean some
kind of smart-heuristic checker?

--
Nick Kew

In need of paying work - http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html