Re[2]: Accessible HTML in Kiosk

At 12:04 AM 2002-12-16, Matthew Smith wrote:

>Hi All
>
>Before I started producing Accessible material, I developed a kiosk
>system, the user interface of which is a touch screen displaying a
>server-generated web page on a Mozilla browser.
>
>I need to re-engineer this system and would like to incorporate
>accessibility features where possible.  I would appreciate any comments on
>my ideas:
>
>1) All code to be valid XHTML with CSS formatting.

As between using layers and this idea, I would suggest you keep the layers
and lose the standards.

Layers are such a natural aid in configuring an assistive capability over
commodity stuff that I don't think you should reject it yet.

If you can just play SVG in the client and the SVG is a big image map, with
title and desc supplied so it is a client-side self-documenting image map,
then you can
provide the interaction smarts at the server where you control the code and
it's a lot easier to support.

Look at a Web Service talking XForms.  The touch mode is XForms in
SVG.  The other modes are different bindings of the same service with the
same content at the XForms level.

Al

Google for "Dave Pawson SVG FAQ" and enjoy.