Re: Accessible HTML in Kiosk

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Matthew Smith wrote:

>Hi All
>
>2) Menu bar - available in "normal" and "huge" icon sizes and
>positionable on either side of screen to cater for "handedness"; this
>would allow the scrolling of pages (the Dark Demon of touch screens?) by
>existing in a transparent layer above the displayed text.

If you have Mozilla embedded you could use CSS absolute positioning, and just
change the style sheet to change the size...

>I plan to look at a speaking version, once IBM releases the ViaVoice
>toolkit for Linux.  If anyone can suggest a working (preferably free,
>since this is a not-for-profit project) TTS system for Linux that's
>accessible through Perl and only requires a standard sound card -
>there's a pint of beer waiting here for you ;-)

Festival/mbrola is used a lot in linux screen readers - it's free and
available for several languages. The blinux list archives, details at
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/blinux-list might be a good place
to look for more information...

>Finally, does anyone know whether it is possible to make a JavaScript
>mouse event emulate the tab key?  (Tabbing between links using touch
>screen).

 will work if you keep an array of links and where you were at - for a click
on anything that doesn't already have an associated onclick action. If you
have a particular button to do this it should be where the onclick attribute
is...

(a better javascripter than I am might be more helpful here... :)

cheers

Chaals