Re: BBC R4 Accessible Web Article on NOW

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Tom Gilder wrote:

wonder how many alternative browser users were on the selection committee?

Bob

> On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, 9:14:51 PM, David Woolley wrote:
> > The web page backing the article is at:
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/intouch_factsheet.shtml
>
> I so hate this. I want to praise these awards for increasing the
> awareness of accessibility (which they are). But they seem to be doing
> *such* a crap job at it.
>
> I had a very brief look through the winners, let me see...
>
>   * The British Museum Compass
>     http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/
>     First page has a meta refresh. Beyond that, better than most.
>
>   * Dial UK
>     http://www.dialuk.org.uk/
>     As scripting was disabled in my browser, I got no style at first
>     due to their poor client-side browser sniffing. Otherwise good for
>     accessibility (if a little verbose on the alt text).
>
>   * Guardian Unlimited
>     http://www.guardian.co.uk/
>     I'm sorry? How on earth did this win an award for accessibility?
>     Just look at it in Lynx - <http://tinyurl.com/3hu1>! Although the
>     content is quite good, the surrounding design is very poor.
>
>     I just don't know how this could win over BBC News
>     (http://news.bbc.co.uk) or Ananova (http://www.ananova.com/news/).
>     Madness.
>
>   * The Local Heritage Initiative
>     http://www.lhi.org.uk/
>     Very good.
>
>   * National Maritime Museum
>     http://www.nmm.ac.uk/
>     Hrm. Ok-ish. Could be better (and why does the text-only version's
>     link to the graphical version say "HTML version"...?)
>
>   * Whichbook
>     http://www.whichbook.net/
>     Whilst they have made clear attempts at making their site more
>     accessible, it's a shame some people won't be able to get into the
>     site in the first place - http://tinyurl.com/3hu5.
>
> I really fail to understand how these awards have been worked out.
> There are many, many more deserving sites than the few that have won
> them. Very odd indeed.
>
> But I have to say well done for the organizers for attempting
> something like this, and to the BBC for covering the story.

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks