RE: Accessible PDFs?

Bob

that's a less than useful answer in that it doesn't really give a true
picture of the situation. Yes, it's true that AT cannot read pdf documents
created using Acrobat 4 but (correct me if I'm wrong) it *is* possible using
version 5 to produce documents that are accessible if the creator knows what
they're doing. We are now in a situation where pdf holds similar ground to
html in that unless the developer knows what they're doing the resulting
documents will be inaccessible to some extent. Given that people will still
continue to use pdf shouldn't we be giving a more upbeat message about how
to create accessible versions otherwise we're going to be stuck with
documents that theoretically can be made accessible but aren't because the
creators don't know that it can be done. This is an *interest* group and to
my mind that means exploring possibilities and trying to produce solutions.
Or am I yet another who has seriously misjudged the remit of the list?

Julian

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.