From: "Tina Holmboe" <tina@elfi.org>
To: "David R. Stong" <drs18@psu.edu>
Cc: <jon@spin.ie>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: JAWS doing em / strong Re: *Complex* Tables, Forms,
Labeling, I'm still confused

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:15:52 -0500
 "David R. Stong" <drs18@psu.edu> wrote:

> to center something in a cell. The strength of inflection of a given
> word may affect meaning and in so doing needs to be interpreted by
> any device that interprets written words.

  The strength of *inflection* is indeed meaningful. I doubt anyone
would
  ever try to argue that.

  But, and please correct me if I am wrong, what seems to be the case
here
  is that Jaws uses the thickness of lines (bold face) in order to
determine
  the strength of inflection.

  If I am not incorrect in that assumption, then I am afraid that I'll
agree
  with the phrase "insane" - which is otherwise a rather dangerous word
  use.

  Hopefully I've just misunderstood. I'd really not like to put forth
  questions such as

    "If a webpage is rendered all in bold, should it be shouted ?"

  or

    "How bold should a bold font become before it means emphasis ?"

  or even

    "Does <em>this phrase</em> rendered thinly not mean emphasis ?"

--

 Tina Holmboe           [Windrose@DALnet] [tina@elfi.org]
[tina@htmlhelp.com]

$_ = <<'-- '; s/../pack("c",hex($&))/eg; eval;
7072696e7420224a75737420616e6f74686572205065726c206861636b65722c22