Re: Accessing PDFs

But we have NEVER said that ALL PDFs would be accessible. In fact, we say
just the opposite whenever we are asked about our PDF support. We say the
same thing for our Macromedia support. I'm very curious to hear where the
popular opinion that we claim TOTAL PDF support originated.

We have always stated, up front, that unless a PDF is tagged correctly, it
may not read in a desirable way. In fact, let me quote directly from our
Adobe FAQ found on our support page (http://www.gwmicro.com/support):

"8. A friend of mine sent me a PDF he created with Adobe Acrobat 3, but I
can't get it to read. Why not?
The truth is, not all legacy (that means older) PDF files are going to
read. The accessibility options included in the new version of Adobe
Acrobat, however, will allow a PDF author to make their PDF accessible. So
if you have an older PDF file that doesn't read, contact the author, inform
him or her that the new version of Adobe Acrobat is available, and ask if
they can make their PDF files accessible.
Now with ability to change the reading order of a PDF, even more PDFs can
be read. But we still do not claim, nor has ANYONE who supports PDFs, nor
has ANYONE from Adobe ever claimed total accessibility."

We go on to say:

"9. I have a PDF file that doesn't work, but I don't know who wrote it.
What can I do?
E-mail the PDF file to us at support@gwmicro.com. We will work with Adobe
to figure out why your PDF isn't working properly, and provide you with an
answer."

I can understand that information can become confusing. Take, for example,
your statement that Window-Eyes claims, "for making pdfs accessible." That
statement is false because Window-Eyes has no control over whether a PDF is
accessible or not. That is a task for the technology of Acrobat and the
Acrobat Reader. Window-Eyes simply conveys the information presented from
Acrobat to the end user.

But I am even more bothered by the fact that you were in a situation
overcome with confusion, and you did not (to my knowledge) contact us for
clarification. Not to mention the FAQ noted above, or the following links,
also on our support page:

Adobe Acrobat 5 Information:
* Adobe Access Page - access.adobe.com
* Booklet: How To Create Accessible Adobe PDF Files [PDF Version]
* Adobe Accessibility Courseware
* Booklet: How To Create Accessible Adobe PDF Files [HTML Version]
* Booklet: Advanced Techniques for Creating Accessible Adobe PDF Files [PDF
Version]
* White Paper: Enhancing the accessibility of the Web with Adobe Acrobat
software [PDF Version]
* White Paper: Enhancing the accessibility of the Web with Adobe Acrobat
software [HTML Version]

Adobe Acrobat 5 and Accessibility Video Series:
* Working with Microsoft Office 2000 Files
* Working with Existing PDF files
* Working with Forms
* Usability Enhancements of Acrobat 5.0
* Working with Screen Readers

Adobe Acrobat 5 Downloads:
* Acrobat Reader 5.1 Download
* Acrobat Make Accessible Plug-in

In this age of endless knowledge, how does confusion like this exist when
you can go right to the source for answers?