Re: Accessing PDFs

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Josh Hughes wrote:

> > no only about your "Claiming" that now pdf is accessible, it isn't and
> > won't be with existing technology,  for your product to read it it must be
> > marked up correctly and anyone who hasn't purchased your product can't
> > read it at all.
>
> 1.) The latest version of Jaws also supports PDF.
> 2.) Emacspeak:
> http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/user-guide/productivity.html#READING-ADOBE-
> ACROBAT-FILES Anyone tested this? I think easy conversion to text or HTML
> formats would be my definition of whether or not the PDF was accessible.

there are two different ways, xpdf and the adobe conversion.  the xpdf
works IF and a big if, if the pdf is text, not a graphic of the text.

the adobe conversion requires you have the pdf URL, and I find it less
than very usefull and rarely do you get a URL for the pdf file alone....

both require a lot of steps, for some reason I can only get xpdf to work
when I am NOT online which means downloading the pdf, logging off and then
converting it, if it is convertable.

> 2.) ALL documents have to be properly marked up to be accessible. I don't

and what is the percentage that is marked up correctly, if the person
doesn't take the time to make it accessible "correctly" what are the odds
that it is properly marked up??

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks