RE: Accessing PDFs

At 10:51 AM 10/25/2002 -0400, Access Systems wrote:
>That's the point, why does a disabled computer user HAVE to spend large
>sums of money to support making it easy for programers and web
>developers.

The cost of our product has nothing to do with making is "easy" to develop.
The cost goes into the development (easy or not), the product, the sales,
the support, and the overhead of producing a product that is distributed to
a very small market (comparatively speaking) .

>   your Window's Eyes costs more than the average computer does,
>and then you have to continually upgrade to newer and newer operating
>systems, which usually require a hardware upgrade to use.

Isn't that the case for any software on any system?

>I own a small business and believe employees should be paid and
>people should get fair service for their money BUT I DON'T believe people
>with disabilities should be FORCED to spend money for things that are for
>the convience of the seller not the buyer.

Who's forcing who? We're believe in providing people with a choice. Our
product is currently $200 less than our competition. If you want to talk
about being FORCED, talk to the Vocational Rehabilitation agencies who
initially purchase the most expensive package, and then assume the client
will purchase upgrades on their own. Competition upgrades might much
cheaper, but then that would involve the cost of purchasing another full
copy of another screen reader. You're saying that we are at fault here?

>maybe if M$ paid you directly and included Window Eyes in ALL versions of
>their operating systems, or like Adobe make the reader avaliable free for
>download (for non disabled anyway)

So to save money, you suggest that we partner with a company who you refer
to with dollar signs?

>And it is hardly fair to FORCE people to buy only your software to be able
>to use the internet, it may be good software but shouldn't the consumer
>have the choice to make that decision, rather than an exclusive agreement
>between sellers to lock in a user.

Again, I'm not sure where you are getting the information that we're
forcing anyone to do anything. And I'm also not clear on what you mean when
you say, "an exclusive agreement between sellers to lock in a user." Can
you expound on that?

>And if I read 508 correctly it would not comply with 508 nor W3C if it is
>a single proprietary system  that must be purchased for accessibility to
>be achieved.

But it's not a single system. In its own right, Window-Eyes is one product.
But it is an item in a group of products called screen readers. Consumers
have the CHOICE to decide which screen reader best fits their needs, and
their budgets.

>Bob

Thanks again, Bob.