Re: Accessing PDFs

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Aaron Smith wrote:

> So, in other words, we should never embrace new technology because older
> technology already exists? In my opinion, that's a stifling point of view
> that will never assist in advancing the accessibility market. That line of
> thinking is part of the reason that accessibility isn't more mainstream.

the idea is not to "never embrace new technology" but rather to make sure
the information contained in the new technology can still be used by those
with the older technology.....Japan's new bullet trains exceed 200 MPH but
the old Tom Thumb would still be able to run on their tracks....the same
concept...make sure we "Leave no one behind"

> What's the point of moving from Windows 9X to XP, IE 5 to IE 6, Office 2000
> to Office XP? Because the latter products have more/better accessibility
> built in, as well as more general features. Same thing with PDFs.

you don't want to get me started there....besides I have never run any of
those products why should I degrade my computer...;8*}   but I digress

> Originally, there were not accessible at all. Now they are accessible.

no they still are not accessible UNLESS you spend $$$ for restrictive
propritary software that constantly has to be upgraded at great expense.
and remember 70% of people with disabilities live below the poverty level,
a computer of any kind is a major purchase and can not be constantly being
upgraded

> Maybe not 100% of them 100% of the time, but to say, "It's not perfect, so
> let's not use it" violates the whole direction of accessibility advocacy.

nothing is 100% accessible 100% of the time, But I have the same feelings
about people who intentionally build inaccessible web sites as I have for
folks who build new buildings with steps, and putting an accessible door
in the back of the building is NOT making it accessible.

> At 12:21 PM 10/24/2002 -0400, David Poehlman wrote:
>
> >the problem with this logic is that it totally misses the mark when
> >those documents can just as well be much more accessible by not being in
> >pdf.

can't argue there.  PDF is for printers not for users

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks