Re: Accessing PDFs

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Aaron Smith wrote:

> Quite the opposite. With the latest version of Window-Eyes and Adobe
> Acrobat, PDFs are very accessible.
>
> For example, here's Appendix F.6 of the Window-Eyes manual:

but that is ONLY for windoze latest version

Bob

> [...]
> be a custom defined number of pages). When this setting is enabled, and
> when the document loaded does not exceed the set number of pages, the PDF
> file will load one page at a time to decrease the amount of MSAA load time.
> When you open a PDF file, you will hear, "Loading Page, Single Page, Load
> Done." The single page notification is letting you know that only one page
> will be visible in MSAA mode at a time. To advance a page, press CTRL-PAGE
> DOWN. To go back a page, press CTRL-PAGE UP.
>
> To change the number of pages required for a document to load in single
> page mode, do the following:
>
> 1. Press CTRL-K
> 2. Type A for Accessibility
> 3. Press TAB until you reach the edit box containing the number of pages
> (10 by default)
> 4. Enter the number of pages you want Acrobat to pay attention to for
> single page loading
> 5. TAB to OK and press ENTER
>
> · If you prefer to load the entire PDF document in the MSAA buffer, rather
> than one page at a time, you may do so in the Adobe preferences dialog
> (accessible with CTRL-K). It should be noted, however, that loading an
> entire PDF document (especially one that is large) may take a very long
> time, depending on your machine specifications.
>
> To enable a document to load in full document mode, do the following:
>
> 1. Press CTRL-K
> 2. Type A for Accessibility
> 3. Press TAB until you reach the "Deliver data in pages when document
> exceeds" check box
> 4. Press SPACE BAR to uncheck the check box
> 5. TAB to OK and press ENTER
>
> · If you would like to hear the status of the MSAA buffer (either Single
> Page, or Full Document), you can press the speak summary hot key,
> CTRL-SHIFT-S.
>
> Note that the page indication (Single Page, or Full Document) will still be
> spoken even when the MSAA progress announcement verbosity option is turned
> off. The reason is that the page announcement is not a part of progress of
> MSAA loading, but rather a notification of the current state of MSAA.
>
> For information on the latest available version of Adobe Acrobat and the
> Adobe Acrobat Reader, visit:
>
> http://access.adobe.com
>

> At 12:22 PM 10/23/2002 -0400, RUST Randal wrote:
>

> >Don't yell at me for asking this.  It's something that I really haven't paid
> >much attention to in the past.
> >
> >Are PDFs completely inaccessible to all screen readers?  I'm assuming so,
> >based on recent events
> >
> >----------
> >Randal Rust
> >Covansys, Inc.
> >Columbus, OH
>
> --
> To insure that you receive proper support, please include all
> past correspondence (where applicable), and any relevant
> information pertinent to your situation when submitting a
> problem report to the GW Micro Technical Support Team.

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks