Re: Media - Suit Over Airlines' Web Sites Tests Bounds of ADA

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> You look to be in the UK, and our legislation is extremely subjective.
> On the other hand, it probably only exists to comply with EEC directives,
> so enforcement will probably be grossly understaffed.

There's no need for it to be "grossly understaffed".  Accessibility
cases are a legitimate concern of trade unions in the workplace, and
of consumer groups on the Web at large.  All it needs is awareness.

> On other points, whether or not disabled form a significant (normally
> defined as > 20%) part of the market doesn't matter for a web designer
> if their employer/client is not convinced of it.

If we postulate that:
  (1) Everyone, including the disabled, buys basic goods & services.
  (2) Most fully able-bodied people use traditional shopping methods
      (go to the shops) for many/most of their purchases.
  (3) Going to the shops presents more difficulty for disabled people
      than for others.
Then we may conclude that:
  (4) Disabled people are likely to be overrepresented amongst those
      shopping online.
  (5) If some websites present difficulties to disabled people, then
      they will be still more overrepresented amongst users of
      accessible sites.
  (6) But this may take time to be fully realised, as some disabled
      people accustomed to being dependent on others learn to enjoy
      the greater independence the 'net gives them.

Has anyone conducted any studies that might begin to test/quantify
these conclusions, and how they might affect the Business Case?

--
Nick Kew