Re: Making the Suits "get it" (Was RE: Media - Suit Over Airlines' Web Sites Tests Bounds of ADA)

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, John Foliot - bytown internet wrote:

> > Oftentimes when trying to promote accessibility, I think that it
> > eliminate the disabled user from the equation, and to focus on
> > the user with
> > the alternate browser.  When you're talking about marketing and profit
>
> Randal hit a key point here... accessibility is more than just the disabled
> community, and the sooner we can sell THAT message the sooner the suits will
> "get it".

here here!

> I do regular information/training sessions on accessible web design, and as
> part of those sessions I review the client's site in Lynx (get the real deal
> at http://lynx.isc.org/release/).  Often I am asked "yes, but who uses Lynx
> anyway and why?".  While I explain that there is in fact a definite user
> group (visually impaired, Linux weenies, users under extreme conditions ,

and those who have to process a LOT of information in a limited amount of
time, only a full text mode can keep up with a speed reader, or someone
who has to scan a lot of things fast.

> and others...), I explain that it also allows me to ensure that it is
> available to alternative browsers such as Cellular phones and PDAs.  At that
> point I "unveil" a small WAP emulator I have previously opened and loaded
>
> There are a number of WAP emulators available on the web, I am currently
> using the Deck-It emulator available at http://www.pyweb.com/tools/.
> (available as Windows or Linux apps)

hmmmmm, have to try that, thanks

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks