Re: Part 2 Labels

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Lloyd G. Rasmussen wrote:

> I just finished running through some test material put up by Freedom
> Scientific.  This is set up to demonstrate their implementation of the user
> agent accessibility guidelines, in JAWS 4.5.  I use Window-Eyes, HPR and
> Lynx instead of JAWS, but I think this is an  instructive test suite:
>
> http://www.freedomscientific.com/HTML_challenge/html_challenge.html
>
> Lynx and HPR can render the lists properly; Window-Eyes can only do it
> while MSAA is turned off.  Similarly, Access keys and the dynamic HTML test
> can only be done with W-E while MSAA is turned off.

Wow,  I use Lynx and that is about as clear a web site as I have ever
visited, the only two problems I noticed and they were minor was the
frames just said "right" "left" "center" and you had to visit to figure
out what was in them but that is pretty much normal and while better than
most the tables were still hard to read.

but just my opinion.

> astounding number of hotkeys which a person might want to use, if they
> could remember them all.  In JAWS, as was once the case in Window-Eyes, you

yeah if I could remember em all.

> At 01:18 PM 10/2/02 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >Oh, I should also add, Microsoft could really improve MSAA and the
> >browser in general.  A majority of those who use screen readers use
> >Internet Explorer, because it works overall better than say Netscape.

no the majority of screen readers use IE because it came with their
computer it is far from the best it barely qualifies as mediocre

> > From a users standpoint, I find it extremely disappointing the browser
> >developers, screen reader developers, and the website designing people
> >cannot seem to agree to, and actually follow, guidelines.  W3C has done
> >a pretty good job at writing the guidelines, its just everyone else who
> >pick and choose what they want to implement.

check out the dents in the wall from banging my head against
it!?!? #$$@&*&$&@@

> >>From a designers standpoint, I also find it frustrating when I follow
> >WAI guidelines, but they don't work because the screen readers and
> >browsers don't go a long with their end of the "bargain"  It's a bit
> >strange to have to violate the WAI guidelines to make the website
> >accessible.  That just doesn't make sense.  <puzzled look>

and M$ is the worst offender.

> >I really would like to be able to design a website which is screen
> >reader friendly and look good visually too.  Why can't these two things
> >work together?  I would think it could be quite possible.  Why should a
> >designer have to sacrifice "looks" for accessibility and usability?

I think it can be done it just takes a little more thought and that is a
rare comodity

> >As someone who is blind, I use the Internet everyday.  The Internet is
> >probably one of the neatest inventions.  As an example, in a lot of

I've been using what passes for the internet for over 20 years and in some
ways it is far improved but in other ways it is far worse, when I had to
use a 16.5baud modem with an acoustic coupler every bit counted, even at
2400 baud you couldn't afford to waste bandwidth, as modems have gotten
faster the signal to noise ratio has gotten worse and worse.

well I'm just an old timer and I get reminded of it every day.

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks