Re: Accessibility of CSS overflow

On Friday, July 26, 2002, 12:38:15 AM, Jim Ley wrote:
> > For instance, to scroll purely using the keyboard in IE6/win there has
> > to be an element you can tab to within the scrollable area.
>
> I'd suggest this was an issue with IE6 (ie a UAAG issue - allow user
> access to "widgets"), a simple workaround as you say would be to add a
> tabindex to the overflow:scrolled area, this would allow keyboard use, to
> overcome the validity issue you can use a scripting solution to set the
> tabindex and overflow properties or you could use a non W3 version of HTML
> to maintain the validity of the document.

Thanks Jim, all of these ideas have crossed my mind but none are ideal :/

Just to add to this, I can find absolutely no way at all to allow keyboard
access to overflow'ed divs in Mozilla 1.0 (even adding a link to the scrollable
area does not work). Does it support a tabindex-alike on all elements via CSS by
any chance?

Of course, on top if this all, there's the fact that Opera treats overflow:auto
as overflow:hidden - a *major* (and I believe against the CSS specs) problem.

--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/