Re: Accessible _content_ management (was RE: accessible web contact management solution request:)

At 05:54 27/06/2002 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
<snip/>
>But there is more to the accessibility of a system than its interface -
>not
>just the ability to add a longdesc or sevral, but also making it easy and
>natural for content authors to ensure that documents being produced will
>have
>useful structure. Where necessary, of course, this requires appropriate
>help
>documentation.
<snip/>

Giving our CMS an accessible interface is pretty straightforward. At the
moment it is possible to update content using Lynx, and the structure of
the resulting document is controlled - one of our aims was to enable day to
day content editing by people who have knowledge of HTML, which has the
useful side effect of giving output documents a useful structure, assuming
the templates are well structured. Every level two heading, for example, is
in a h2 element, never a horrendous mix of font and strong elements.

One thing that does concern me is the editing of the templates. At the
moment, that is only done through a text editor, and as such it can't
really be done by non-techies. Is that an accessibility issue?

I'll see if I get a chance to set up an example site so I can show you what
I am talking about.

Andrew

--
Andrew McFarland