Re: Standards Compliant = No support for NN4?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 12:33:55PM +0100, Tom James wrote:

> 3) You add a paragraph at the top of the page (in a style hidden using the
> stylesheet) that explains that the page will look plain, but still be
> readable, for non-standards compliant browsers.

  This is the bit I'd have an issue with. This paragraph would indeed be
  hidden from standards-compliant browsers -- in as far as we define a
  standards compliant browser to be a "css compliant" browser.

  The paragraph would be visible/audible/tactilely available to very
  standards compliant browsers who do not support CSS. I don't enjoy,
  using Lynx, reading "Your browser doesn't support X" on top of any page,
  no matter if X is 'frames' or 'css'. I'd go with (1)[*] and (2), and avoid
  (3).

[*]
 Though not @import, as that hits more than just NS 4's broken CSS
 implementation - even if we could discuss whether a browser supporting CSS
 1 and 2 but not @import is broken or not.

   [+46] 0708 557 905