Re: Guideline on avoiding visual language?

I understand the quandry, but the example is perfectly communicative.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Gilder" <w3c@tom.me.uk>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 11:33 AM
Subject: Guideline on avoiding visual language?

Something that I feel is missing from WCAG is a guideline about trying
to avoid
using visual language. For instance, "see the links on the left" -
meaningless
in an audio or text browser.

The WCAG technique documents are somewhat guilty of this,
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#data-tables gives an example of:

   "The table is divided into two columns. The left-hand column is
'Total
   investment required in billions of dollars'. The right--hand column
is
   'Spending' and is divided into three sub-columns."

...for a sample table caption.

Might be nice to include something on this in future guidelines?

Cheers
--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/