From: "Jim Thatcher" <jim@jimthatcher.com>
To: "Scarlett Julian (ED)" <Julian.Scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk>;
<w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 7:08 PM
Subject: RE: visibility of 'skip links'

Hi Scarlett,

I drove the inclusion of skip nav links in the 508 provisions when I was
vice chair of EITAAC (electronic and information technology
accessibility
advisory committee) that proposed standards to the Access Board for 508.
It
was the first "formalization," even advocacy, of the idea. Skip
navigation
links are crucial for blind consumers to find the main content of a
page, a
process that is relatively easy if you can see and one that can be near
impossible if you are blind.

Since the EITAAC meetings, screen readers have improved and they do a
better
job of skipping over links. But a "skip to main content link" completely
removes guesswork. The skip link has nothing to do with keyboard
access - it
is for blind access. If you can see the screen you can tab (very
quickly)
over a long list of links and watch the focus rectangle until it gets to
where you want. A blind user cannot do that. You have to listen as you
go
... and tabbing, of course, skips right over the main content.

Put the skip link on an invisible gif, as you will find it on
http://cnn.com, http://ibm.com and http://jimthatcher.com. Or make it
visible like on http://www.acb.org. Or make it the same color as
background
as at http://assistivetech.org. But don't use visibility: hidden
styles -
screen readers are taking that to mean that the visibility is hidden!

Jim
Accessibility Consulting
http://jimthatcher.com
512-306-0931
Constructing Accessible Web Sites, is now available at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1904151000/jimthatcherco-20/!
I recommend it. It's a good book!