Re: visibility of 'skip links'

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Scarlett Julian (ED) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just a quickie. I have a page (several actually) with a 'skip links' link at
> the top of the main nav menu. On showing this to some sighted users who I
> would assess as having limited experience of the internet but make up a
> sizeable proportion of my target audience I became aware that this link was
> confusing them.

I agree with your problem and diagnosis, but I wonder if a different
solution might be in order.  Change the wording to (for example)
the value of the <Hn> element introducing the next section of the
page.  To make it really clear to many of your sighted users what has
happened when they clicked the link, you could add an onclick event
that will actively highlight the next section.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.