Re: Maps and accessibility

Rebecca,

I did explore this topic in a paper that I wrote about a year ago for my
Master's program at San Jose state.  Theoretically, there would be alt tags
associated with specific features in the map allowing a person to "explore"
adjacencies (once orientation of the map is known).

When attempting to create an image map with java-script rollovers that
"spoke", I had problems with the java-script launching when the minimum
bounding rectangle associated with the original object in the vector file
(used to create the image map) was hovered over.For example, line objects
that crossed the entire map "spoke" at inappropriate times.

The need to make websites that contain maps accessible is being discussed
in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) circles - most recently this was
brought up at a meeting of the Bay Area Automated Mapping Association
(BAAMA) in the SF Bay Area. (See www.baama.org).  The issues are being
raised by public agencies in response to requirements of the government to
make web sites accessible.  Some agencies are working to provide similar
information in a text-based form, especially if maps are providing
directions to a location.

We do need to recognize that GIS technology offers specific capabilities
that may need years of development for a sight impaired person to utilize -
such as visual analysis of map overlays, buffer studies, and distance
queries where a user interacts with the map.  One area where there has been
increased interest is in using GIS "behind the scenes."  In this case a
user would be queried for information (entered through a web form), then a
GIS system would process information spatially behind the scenes, then
return text-based information to the user. In this case, accessibility to
information would be similar to that of a sighted person.

Interactive mapping technology/web-based GIS is still relatively new to the
web. Web sites may require plug-ins to obtain the full functionality of an
application. Many are still behind firewalls - accessible only to employees
of an organization, and are still being implemented to help improve
information coordination and dissemination.  Those agencies that have
developed sites for the public may have done so with off-the-shelf
applications. Therefore the agency currently has little control over what
level of accessibility the vendor has provided.

As XML standards such as GML and SVG come on-line, it will be important to
build in standards so that each element that is clickable or viewable, has
metadata associated with it that can be translated.

We need to encourage those vendors who make web-based GIS and graphics
applications to build in this capability.  A few of these companies include
Autodesk, ESRI, Intergraph, MapInfo, Microsoft (GIS) and Adobe, Macromedia
(graphics).  I believe a few of these have representation already through
the W3C, though I am not sure of their direct involvement with WAI initiatives.

I'm sure it would be helpful to these companies to know what level of
capability is reasonable and expected from the sight-impaired community.

And finally, another area that needs more clarification is what type of
instrument (mouse, digitizer, special pin-type interface etc.) would be
most appropriate for exploring a web-based map.

Best regards,
Kristina

At 05:43 PM 5/6/2002 +1200, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of any work that has been done on making maps - the
>geographical sort - (or the information within them) accessible?
>
>The sites that I have had a look at don't seem to tackle the problem at
>all, even this one which says it is "accessible" just has an alt tag for
>the map on this page:
>http://www.srs.fs.fed.us/bentcreek/new_maps_on-line!.htm
>
>Cheers
>Rebecca Cox

Kristina Seyer Smith, Manager of Maps and Records
Spatial Information/GIS

Phone: 1-650-723-0594
FAX:   1-650-723-7905
Stanford University, Facilities Operations
327 Bonair Siding, Stanford, CA 94305-7274
mailto:kristina@bonair.stanford.edu
http://maps.stanford.edu