Re: Prototype Accessibility Proxy (RE: Accessibility Proxy seeks interested ISPs)

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> is it possible to point the browser directly at it and have it rewrite links
> to point them to the proxy explicitly? (the tablin service does this as a way
> of dealing with the proxying question)

Not quite sure what you mean there?

It's just acting as a proxy with a set of rewrites designed for
accessibility.  Do you mean you think it should work like anonymiser.com
used to (maybe still does?) and send everything explicitly through
itself?  Sure, it could do that, though it would be a different
service, and would imply a rather higher processing overhead.

What I'm working towards is something an ISP or a company's network
manager can deploy to make the entire 'net more accessible to their
own users.  In those cases, the admin will (normally) want to allow
all content through, just as they would with a standard proxy.

BTW, it's had a couple of updates since my first announcement.

BTW2: the server running at http://valet.webthing.com:8000/ is *only*
a proxy.  If you type that URL into a browser, it will return an error.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.