From: Kjetil Kjernsmo [mailto:kjernsmo@blindeforbundet.no]
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2002 14:03
To: Simon White; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Personalisation - your thoughts please

On Friday 19 April 2002 14:05, Simon White wrote:
> Dear All,
> What do people think about an idea of a website offering the ability
> to personalise the site dependent upon a person's disability. This
> would be an option rather than a rule and could enable a blind person
> to have content delivered to them that is displayed to suit their
> requirements (be that for their disability or the assistive
> technology they use). If pesonalisation was not required then content
> would be delivered as if it were an accessible Web page.

It is my opinion that _everbody_ would benefit greatly if WCAG were
followed by as many sites as possible, not only those with disabilities
(and I think that W3C WAI made a significant mistake in marketing this
as something that was mostly for people with disabilities).
The main thing with accessibility is that it enables people do so many
different things with pages than just the narrow "view them on a
screen".

Therefore, I think that a site should be highly accessible by default.
Even triple-A. Then, visitors could personalise a site by adding bells
and whistles to suit them.

After all, do you think people could personalise your site if they can't
find it accessible when they first enter?

Kjetil

VirusChecked by the Incepta Group plc