Re: legal responsibility

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Scarlett Julian (ED) wrote:

> does anyone know what the position is re third party web applications used
> within a website that fall foul of the accessibility requirements of the DDA
> (UK Disability Discrimination Act).

I generally make the bid/contract specifications make it a requirement
that the "product" comply with all applicable regulations and then it
becomes the vendors responsibility to comply or be found in default or
breach of contract... generally private providers are required to "stand
in the shoes" of the gov agency

YMMV
Bob

> Scenario:
> we have bought an asp application with style and javascript nav menu hard
> wired into a vb dll which makes it impossible for us to modify anything to
> fit into our corporate standards. Are we legally responsible for the use of
> that application or can we pass the buck to the application developers? Is
> our only course of action to pay for the vb source to make the necessary
> modifications ourselves.
>

> I feel that this is probably an important topic for local government where
> buying apps off-the-shelf is seen as a quick option to satisfying other
> targets set by central government.
>
> Julian Scarlett
> Web Design & Document Management System Officer
> PPU
> Education Directorate
> Sheffield City Council
> 0114 2735721
> mob 07904914976
> julian.scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk
>
> The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks