Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

On Saturday 29 December 2001 09:20, Harry Woodrow wrote:
|   The fact that IE does not crash is correct behavior.
|   Browsers should forgive the mistakes of the page writer after all the
| user didnt make them and presumably the author did try to convey
| information.. On the other hand authoring tools should not allow you to
| make bad code. A BMW car has an extremely good ABS system to make up for

What a nice message! :-)
I really LOVE this list! :-))

... And highly appreciate the fact that we finally switched from browsers
(hell-knows-what-inside-it?) to cars (which have engine, wheels, body and a
lot of other interesting stuff).

Anyway, I hardly believe you can compare MS IE to BMW - MS IE is much more
close to FIAT or Daewoo, which are good cars, but not luxurious.
And Mozilla reminds me Ford F-series pickup - it does its job but car is
heavy enermously and fuel consumption can kill almost every budget.

| the driver's braking mistakes,it does not crash if the driver makes a minor
| mistake, this does not mean that the driver should drive badly.
|   If you want browsers to crash on bad input do you also want cars to?
| :)))))

I think you misunderstood me.
I wrote "MS IE bombs you on broken (not well-formed) XML" - there is nothing
said about crash.
You can check - try to render broken XML in MS IE, it will just display you
"error processing blah-blah-blah". I attached small example (good+bad XML)
for your reference.

And, as we started comparision to cars:
Do you know that some cars in Japan *reject* to start engine when driver is
completely drunk? So, what's bad when good browser rejects to render broken
content? (replace it with good one, pleeaaase...)

|   Harry Woodrow

[...]

--

Vadim Plessky