Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:05:29PM +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:

> There is such a thing as "expected behavior" for rendering of HTML4.
> It's mostly based on Netscape 4.x rendering and MS IE rendering.

  Indeed there is - but what that expected behaviour is depends on who
  you are, what you have used in the past, and a whole range of other
  issues - including your physical and/or mental disabilities or
  difficulties.

> |     HTML 4 is, however, rendered in different ways in different browsers,
> | and that rendering can be influence (suggested) by CSS. This said, CSS is
> | not in any way fundamental to HTML, nor a natural part of browser design.
>
> But it's part of Konqueror, MS IE, Mozilla/Netscape6, Opera.

  It is also part of Amaya, Galeon, and a range of other browsers. Even
  Lynx has support for what they call 'Lynx Style Sheets', and one can
  hope these will become compatible with CSS soon.

> And I can add to this that wget doesn't have CSS as well. :-)

  Nor does telnet, but you can still get at the content if it is properly
  packaged.

> Do you have something to proove your statement?

  I'm sorry ... which statement ?

> |     They allready do. The Adobe SVG viewer is bundled with MS IE 6, and
> |     since SVG plugins are now also available for Mozilla there is no real
> |     reason to not use it.
>
> I have MS IE6 in Windows, and there is no SVG plugin bundled with IE6.
> (I installed in separately, though)

  My choice of words were unfortunate - Adobe has an SVG plugin that works
  with IE 6; strike 'bundled'.

> Mozilla doesn't have Adobe SVG plugin bundled, and it just can't be bundled
> with Mozilla, as Adobe plugin doesn't have open-source license, and there are
> no sources available for this plugin.
>
> You are taking wrong assumptions here.

  I'm - again - sorry, but I don't understand you. I never claimed that
  Mozilla came with, or could come with, Adobe's SVG plugin. There is,
  however, A SVG plugin available FOR Mozilla. See also

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/

  for more information.

> I mean: it's up to browser not to render broken content.

  A 'minimum requirements' browser should allow access to the content; and
  not break it. That remains my opinion.

--
 - Tina Holmboe