RE: FWD: CHI-WEB: Amazon's version for the Visually Impaired

Hi

Looking at the further discussion, I have some revised thoughts.
      Speaking for myself only, the ends are more important than the means.
Therefore, from my pperspective, if the means to provide increased accessibility (and usability) to a wider range of users is by creating multiple versions (at the site or page or page element level) on the fly, then
that is perfectly fine.  It's hard to say, in the general case, if there is such a thing, how practical this is.
As long as
1. equivalent information is provided via all the different versions
and
2. all the versions are kept equally up to date,
then the end is achieved.

The phrase "universal design" to me simply means to take different groups into account.  It seems to me that both Scott's design outline and that expressed in WCAG are both
"universal design" and the differences is at
the implementation of the design.  I hope I'm not muddling up the distinction, I'm just trying to see where precisely we disagree, if we really do disagree.

For example, Scott's step 4
    4.  for each group of users, identify approaches which can be
        used by users in the group to meet their needs given their
	characteristics.  (here's where the creativity in pushing bounds
	and coming up with original solutions can come into play)

iterates over "groups of users" whereas that expressed in WCAG seems to iterate over something like "information chunk" which mostly corresponds to "page element" as opposed to entire page or site.
(e.g. For each element, provide an equivalent...)
Could this difference in the early design phase account for the difference?  Am I making any sense?

Steve

>>> Scott Luebking <phoenixl@sonic.net> 12/16/01 11:01AM >>>
Hi,

Looking at the consensus item:

     RE: CLIENT SIDE AND SERVER SIDE SOLUTIONS
     S1 - serving content in different forms is an acceptable way to comply
     with the guidelines as long as equivalents for all of the information
     are provided in the different forms and it is all available through the
     same URI (though it may be linked to it) (server side solutions are
     acceptable - as specified)

it seems that providing multiple versions of web pages is acceptable.
It doesn't seem to convey the impression of the approach being a "cop out".
It does seem to indicate that using multiple versions of web pages is an
adequate design.

There was the statement:

    "You keep saying that this is in the consensus appendix but as I
    explained before, you have to look at the first and last lines of that
    excerpt to fully appreciate its impact."

Perhaps it would be helpful to clarify what is meant by the first and last
lines.

Multiple versions of web pages avoid the problems of having to choose
whose needs to serve when there are conflicting needs.  With the
increase in bandwidth and computing power, more visual and interactive
technology will be delivered.  There will be an increase in conflict of
needs.  For example, in terms of limited screen real estate,
the space could be used to provide some accessibility feature or some
feature which will be used by the more general public.

Scott