Re: FWD: CHI-WEB: Amazon's version for the Visually Impaired

multiple serve means two things.  it means the same site served in
multiple ways depending on the server/client communication / a user
choice as presented or a non parallel site non parallel meaning that all
the sites are developped independantly using different emphasis such as
one flashy, one text only and one not flashy with everything else but
accessible to those not requiring a text only site of which there are
few to none.

the last one is over used.  it is the cop out that many sites have
because of time or resources or know how or whatever to making a site
"accessible" that doesn't have to have a separate site.  it can be a
legitimate way of doing things but if possible, it should be done either
via user choice or via synchronous means.

As I and others on this list have said many times before, the web is not
tv, it is not news paper or a magazine and not even a book but it is
composed at its best a set of hyper text which means that documents are
linked to one another in a hyper/independant way such that one can be
presented with the material but be able to order that material to her
liking.  I know we will have to live with the evolution of the "web" but
it is precisely that "evolution" that is causing so many of the problems
we face today.  The other thing the "web" does is provide lots of
connectivity to different things and ways of interfacing with them.  I
like forms for instance because they can be quite useful as a means of
interacting with components of the web and with the individuals who have
something to provide through the web whether it be different content, a
different set of documents or a product shipped to your door.  This and
more can be done in web style if only we view the web as the web and not
as something else.

I am beginning to think that we need something for the web such as that
which is being done with pedestrians vs motorists and sidewalks.
Standards are now being developped that will make pedestrian travel
easier and they include considerations of all forms of pedestrian travel
whether with a cane, a guide dog or a wheel chair.  This though is
somewhat what the wcag tried and is still trying to do.  There are other
documents either finished or in progress at the wai which attempt to
build on the work of wcag in accomplishing the same thing.

Again, I urge you to read the documents at trace.