RE: Fwd from CHI-WEB: Amazon's version for the Visually Impaired

Hi,

The first question actually reflects that different people have
different preferences for web pages.  This also varies depending
on the purpose of using a particular set of web pages.  Some
people are more like "just the facts" type with no frills.
Other people want a richer visual experience of the web pages
and prefer a slicker, flashy view.

This starts addressing an issue of universal design and web pages.
People vary in what they want.  A problem that universal design
needs to address is what to do when the needs of the various users
conflict.  In the usual architecture example of redundancy,
ramps, stairs, etc are possible.  No ones needs are necessarily being
compromised.  However, universal design and web pages starts introducing
the issue of conflicting needs amony the various users.  For example,
some blind people prefer drop down list boxes because they need
less training to use with some screen readers.  Some designers
like list boxes boxes because they take up less web page real estate.
Some sighted users prefer radio buttons or checkboxes because
they don't have to do any additional actions to see all the choices.

Visually rich and stimulating web pages can make it easier for some
people to remember information.  However, additional visual information
can create confusion for other users, e.g. some learning disabled people,
some blind people.

Some disabled people have pushed for similar experiences, e.g.
knowing they are using the same web page as non-disabled people,
even though some disabled are using access technology which causes
them to actually experience web pages in significantly different
ways.  (I have to admit I tend to focus more on the importance
of getting the same information rather than the same presentation.)

Scott