RE: Fw: putting reader text in hidden <div> tags / adding pauses

>by screen readers. We really need some concensus on what the
>specs/guideline say if we can expect web developers (or user agent
>developers) to know how to handle this issue.

AG::

This has been considered at length in the development of the User Agent
Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 which is currently a Candidate Recommendation.

The answer there is that all 'conditional content' should be exposable by the
user, by some combination of mode settings and interactive commands, in any
user agent.  The profiling of what is shown first and how easy it is to get to
what is not shown can vary from delivery context to delivery context.

In this sense, anything marked as hidden by a style must be considered
'conditonal content.'

 <http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/guidelines.html#gl-content-access>http://www.

At 10:33 AM 2001-12-06 , DAN BILLINGSLEY wrote:
>I think Mike has a great point.  If screen readers do not read hidden
>text they will be missing most of the content on a web sites with dhtml
>menus.  If you are unable to navigate a site with a screen reader or the
>keyboard, you might as well not include all the subpages on a site.
>
>Any content on a web page that was not meant to be viewed or read,
>should be excluded before the page gets served to the browser!

AG::  Thank you for saying that.  This should be the basic deal as regards web
content and access control, encryption issues aside.  There can be arcana in
web pages that are primarily intended for the client-side automation.  But not
secrets from the user.

Al