From: "Chris Croome" <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "MKDoc developers list" <mkdoc-devel@webarch.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 8:42 AM
Subject: Pop-up windows -- is there any situation where they are OK?

Hi

I'm working on a web content management system [1] that I'm trying to
make as accessible as possible.

On pages that are used to edit content there are 'Help?' hyperlinks to
on-line help documentation, a link for each form input element.

At the moment these are just regular links.

Two users have complained that when they follow these links and then go
back the edit content page they have lost any content that they had
started to write (this is true, it's how it works in most browsers).

Half the people here are of the view that we shouldn't pop-up new
browsers windows for help and that users should learn how to open new
browser windows if they want new windows.

The other half think this is stupid and that we should use links that
pop-up new browser windows for the help documentation.

OK, my question: is that a way to use links that open new browser
windows that is accessible and complies with WCAG Double-A?

Chris

[1] http://mkdoc.com/

--
Chris Croome                   <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>