Re: Spacing

At 09:36 AM 11/29/01, Patrick Burke wrote:
>At 08:26 AM 11/29/01, David Poehlman wrote:
>>     Perhaps it is a screen reader issue, but:   shows up as being
>>garbage in speech some times.
>
>I haven't studied it scientifical-like, but I think the   (q,
>etc.) gets sent direct & unchanged to the voice output when it is part of
>hyperlinked text or an ALT tag. No idea if it's a browser problem or MSAA
>problem or Jaws problem (all relating to IE5/5.5, however).

Hmm, I have done the highly complex testing, & I appear to be completely
wrong. To wit:   is converted to a simple space (by Jaws 3.7 & IE5.5)
whether it is part of ahyperlinked text, the ALT of an image, or the ALT of
a hyperlinked image.

But I *know* I have encountered  's and other &#-type symbols being
sent direct to the voice/braille display. SO we still need to find the
conditions that cause this to happen.

Patrick