Re: Alternate tag of "tabindex", for Netscape

Jonathan is right that it is not possible to put a tabindex on an img
element. It is in fact possible to put one on an object element, but here we
run up against the real world problem of poor implementation in "the big two"
browsers. Actually it is also a limitation in HTML - it was never designed
as a language for writing dynamic applications, unlike newer Web languages
such as SMIL and SVG.

The hack that you need to make this work in HTML browsers is to include lots
of links to nowhere. But the reality is that in pushing the envelope and
inventing new work it is going to be difficult and frustrating until the
mass-market technology catches up.

cheers

Charles

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, jonathan chetwynd wrote:

  Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
  > No, there isn't an alternative for tabindex in Netscape, it is just that
  they
  > haven't implemented it. (This is better than having different elements that
  > work in different browsers).
  >
  > So for Netscape the tab order will be whatever order the things appear in
  the
  > source code. Which is almost always the sensible order anyway.

  However it seems there is no way to tab to an image (img rather than a href)
  via this route, could you confirm that Charles?

  I am considering using tabindex as I am beginning to feel I need to be able
  to tab to images that aren't links.....

  it is part of HTML4.0, isn't it?