Re: CSS Visibility & Display

In general screen readers should follow W3C specifications.  I think HPR
and Jaws are probably trying there best to conform to
specifications.  Window-Eyes pretty much depends on Active Accessibility,
so they do not even try to process the source HTML.

Jon

At 01:33 PM 11/15/2001 -0600, Mike Scott wrote:
>I was hoping to be able to use one CSS display and/or visibility properties
>to dynamically hide and display menus for visual users, but still have the
>screen readers read out the "hidden" text. But, it seems that the leading
>screen readers support these properties very inconsistently.
>
>So far, I've found the following results:
>
>JAWS 4.0.103:
>Reads text with visibility:hidden or display:none, IF style rule is set in
>the <style> block in the document <head>.
>Does not read text with visibility:hidden or display:none, IF style is set
>in-line.
>
>HPR 3.00:
>Reads text with visibility:hidden or display:none, regardless of where the
>style is set.
>
>HPR 3.02:
>Does not read text with visibility:hidden or display:none, regardless of
>where the style is set.
>
>Does anyone know if there is a "correct" way for the assistive technology
>tools to be handling these properties? Also, how are the other assistive
>technologies - Window-Eyes in particular - handling this? (Any other
>suggestions on making accessible DHTML menus?)
>
>Thanks,
>Mike

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund