RE: Language -- am I being too vigillant?

At 05:14 PM 11/9/2001 +1300, Rebecca Cox wrote:
>One technique I've heard about, to allow users to enter "poitically
>incorrect" terms in a search, and find the resources which are about what
>they have asked for,  involves somehow associating a list of the common
>terms people might try to use, with the target resource records, in the
>database behind a search engine. - where a website has a search engine
>running off its own database.  I'm sure that many of you will be familiar
>with this.
>
>Another technique might be to add all common terms used in the metadata,
>fo search engines which use it.
>
>Both of these would keep the "unwanted" terms out of the actual content,
>but still allow users to use them.

Precisely.  Use synonyms -- the good old "see" or "see also" in ancient
library catalogs.  However, web designers and content developers -- who
usually have no experience in indexing, thesaurus building or metadata --
don't even think to use synonyms to make it easy for people to find
information on their websites.

Terry

Terry Brainerd Chadwick
InfoQuest! Information Services
2324 NW Johnson, Ste.4
Portland, OR 97210-5221
Voice: 503-228-4023    Fax:  503-220-1934
Email: tbchad@tbchad.com    URL:  http://www.tbchad.com