WAI vs. General Accessibility

At 09:56 AM 2001-11-08 , Al Gilman wrote:
>At 09:39 AM 2001-11-08 , Terje Bless wrote:
>>Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>>what type of information are you looking for?
>>
>>Anything that will give me a fighting chance to understand Cognitive
>>Disabilities in general (from 10,000 feet), and the needs of people
>>with various types and severities of such disabilities as relates to
>>web design. I'm completely blank on the subject -- as opposed general
>>accessibility where I at least have a fighting chance to understand
>>with the help of the WAI materials and a little help :-) -- and don't
>>really see any good way to attack the problem.
>>

>AG:: Your statement is broken where it comes to saying you can understand
>"general accessibility" from the extant WAI materials.  Until you have helped
>the WAI get its hands around remediation in cases of cognitive
>disabilities, we
>aren't there yet.

AG::  Sorry, but Sean is egging me on.  The quotable quip version of this runs
something like

"We only understand Special Accessibility at the moment.  Even Einstein
'took a
little longer' to figure out General Relativity."

And the moral, which doesn't quite fit in Quip scale, is that until we have
figured out accessibility for the Special Olympics crowd, we don't have a
'general accessibility.'

Al