From: "Steven McCaffrey" <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
To: <jogat@opic.gov>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS doesn't seem to hear Table annotations?

Hello Joy and all:

     I too would like to see an example.  Was there something about a
bug in Jaws on this issue?  I can't seem to find a reference to that
now.  Also, is Jaws supposed to announce the table heading immediately
on encountering a table or only with the table commands?
I have version 3.31 so don't have this ability yet.  This also brings up
a backwards compatibility issue.  Does anyone know if the table is
correctly spoken by JFW 3.5 and greater, will 3.31 linearize it properly
or will markup for 3.5 and after make it difficult for 3.31?

Thanks,

Steve

>>> "Gatewood, Joy" <jogat@opic.gov> 11/06/01 01:21PM >>>
Hello all -
I hope that someone here can help me.  I am a consultant for gov't
agencies
in Washington, D.C., working to make their websites meet the Section 508
criteria.

I'm especially concerned with trying to make tables containing data meet
these Section 508 criteria:

(g) Row and column headers shall be identified for data tables.

(h) Markup shall be used to associate data cells and header cells for
data
tables that have two or more logical levels of row or column headers.

JAWS does not seem to render the tables that I have annotated regardless
of
the method uses -  "scope", "headers", and "axis" attributes.  The table
is
read exactly as it was before, except that now the caption is read.

Is there something I should be doing to put JAWS in the "table" mode?  I
am
using JAWS 3.5 and MSIE 5.0

Could someone point me to a page that contains a perfectly annotated
table
that JAWS will read?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joy Gatewood